NPR’s From the Top with Host Christopher O’Riley Aspen, Colorado / 294
Show 294 was recorded at the Aspen Music Festival and School in Aspen, Colorado, where many of the world’s top young musicians come to study during the summer. An outstanding teenage violinist from Shanghai triumphs in his performance of one of the most difficult and virtuosic pieces written for unaccompanied violin (see the video here), and we’ll meet a young flutist with a moving story about being adopted as an 18-year-old into a new family.
Performers & Repertoire
- Allegro con brio from Piano Trio No. 1 in B major, Op. 8 by Johannes Brahms
- Serenade No.2 (Spanish Dance), Op.54, No. 2 by David Popper
- Sonata in D minor, Op. 27, No. 3 "Ballade", by Eugene Ysaÿe
- Allegro, from the Sonata for Flute and Piano, Op. 167 "Undine" by Carl Reinecke
- Nocturne, Op. 48, No.1 in C minor by Frédéric Chopin
- Finale, from Suite for Two Cellos and Piano by Gian Carlo Menotti
- Monday, April 27, 2015
- Monday, October 6, 2014
Release date is when this show is released to NPR stations, here on our website, and to our podcast. Shows are released on a weekly basis; please check your local NPR station listing for the actual airtime in your market. If you'd like, you can visit NPR's "Find Stations" page to look for your station.
Support Provided By
The Sidney E. Frank Foundation
The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation