Become a Fellow
In today’s world, being a musician is so much more than just performing.
Learning and Media Lab Fellows join a dynamic community that care about:
- exploring ways to make an impact through music now and in the future
- accessing professional tools and mentors
- learning about the multiple career avenues for a musician today
- celebrating their music and voices on a major national platform
From the Top Fellows complete an online curriculum spanning 12 hours over four weeks (for a detailed breakdown of sessions and times, please click here). At the end of the remote learning program, Fellows:
- work together to plan and implement a community engagement activity.
- record their solo or ensemble performance and interview for From the Top’s national radio program and podcast.
- collaborate on From the Top’s digital media
- join a network of more than 3,000 alumni including students, professional musicians, educators, and arts administrators.
Am I eligible to apply for the Fellowship?
You are eligible if you:
- Are a musician between the ages of 8–18 and have not enrolled in a college or conservatory.*
- Live in or have a significant training connection to the US.
*High School Seniors should plan to apply before December 1st of their senior year.
What kind of music do you feature?
From the Top primarily celebrates music from the Western classical tradition. However, we also like to present music from other traditions including folk, world, jazz, and gospel. We are particularly interested in music that combines traditions!
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a question about your genre of music.
– Solo instrumentalists
– Small ensembles (8 members or fewer)
– Large ensembles (9 members or more)
How do I apply for the Jack Kent Cooke Young Artist Award?
The Jack Kent Cooke Young Artist Award Application covers both the Fellowship and the JKCYA Award. All applicants wishing to apply for the Jack Kent Cooke Young Artist Award need only complete this one application.
Please know that the Jack Kent Cooke Young Artist Award is need-based and can only be awarded in conjunction with full participation in the Fellowship program. It cannot be awarded independently.
Please review the FAQs and Application Guide before starting your application.
Are you a returning applicant?
If you have previously applied for the From the Top Learning and Media Lab Fellowship, STOP RIGHT THERE! Please e-mail email@example.com and we will give you access to our Application Update form.