Beethoven, Rocket Science, & Coltrane / Show 425
16-year-old violinist Ayaan Ahmad, 16, from Sharon, Massachusetts and Host Peter Dugan perform Beethoven’s Violin Sonata in D major, Op. 12, No. 1 “Allegro con brio”.
A pianist speaks of his passion for rocket science and his work with NASA, a talented teen violinist plays Beethoven and shares how an accident transformed his musicianship, a young composer shares a piece inspired by the loss of a loved one, and a versatile saxophonist plays Coltrane.
- Host: Peter Dugan
Peter Dugan's position is sponsored by Susan and Gerald Slavet.
Performers & Repertoire
- Violin Sonata in D major, Op. 12, No. 1 "Allegro con brio" by Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)
- "Lost Without You" by Elisa Kain Johnson, recorded by the Seattle Symphony
- Solo Violin Caprice No. 20 in D Major, Opus 1, No. 20 "Allegretto by Niccolò Paganini (1782-1840)
- Naima by John Coltrane (1926-1967)
- Miroirs, Mvmt. III, "Une Barque sur L'Ocean" by Joseph Maurice Ravel (1875-1937)
- Monday, January 30, 2023
Release date is when this show is released to NPR stations, here on our website, and to our podcast. Shows are released on a weekly basis; please check your local NPR station listing for the actual airtime in your market. If you'd like, you can visit NPR's "Find Stations" page to look for your station.