NPR’s From the Top: La Jolla, CA / Show 371
From La Jolla, California, this week’s From the Top features renowned violinist and social justice advocate Vijay Gupta as guest host. Along with co-host Michelle Cann, they’ll introduce us to the incredible San Diego Youth Symphony Chamber Orchestra, a young cellist who shares how studying the cello has helped him stand up for what he believes in, and a pianist who was a prize winner in Russia’s famous Tchaikovsky Competition.
- Guest Host: Vijay Gupta
Vijay Gupta is a violinist, speaker and advocate for artistic voices in social issues.
- Pianist: Michelle Cann
Concert pianist and From the Top alumna Michelle Cann is a young artist with a deep musical commitment to performing a wide range of repertoire throughout the US and to bringing the arts to local communities.
Performers & Repertoire
- IX. Scherzo: Presto assai e molto leggiero from The Comedians, Op. 26 by Dmitry Kabalevsky (1904-1987) with conductor Jeff Edmons
- II. Romance. Larghetto from Piano Concerto No.1, Op.11 by Frédéric Chopin (1810-1849) with conductor Jeff Edmons
- Primavera Porteña from "The 4 Seasons of Buenos Aires" by Astor Piazzolla (1921-1992)
- II. Très vif from the Sonata for Violin and Cello by Maurice Ravel (1875-1937)
- Andante Pastoral et Scherzettino by Paul Taffanel (1844-1908), with Michelle Cann, piano
- I. Allegro pesante from the Sonata for Tuba and Piano by Paul Hindemith (1895-1963), with Michelle Cann, piano
- Monday, June 17, 2019
- Monday, December 23, 2019
- Monday, June 15, 2020
- Monday, December 28, 2020
Release date is when this show is released to NPR stations, here on our website, and to our podcast. Shows are released on a weekly basis; please check your local NPR station listing for the actual airtime in your market. If you'd like, you can visit NPR's "Find Stations" page to look for your station.
Support Provided By
The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation