Brahms, Gershwin, & Rachmaninoff with Pianist Orli Shaham / Show 390
Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue is a favorite of many, and this week we have a brilliant performance of this work by two young marimba players. Listen also for a 14-year-old pianist performing Rachmaninoff, and a stunning performance of Brahms by a young violist. Guest Hosted by Orli Shaham.
This Episode Features
- A 14-year-old pianist with a special connection to Rachmaninoff’s music
- A 15-year-old cellist with dreams of bringing music to his small town
- A Chicago-based Marimba Duo performing Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue
- A young violist who shares a personal story about his return to music
- A 14-year-old violinist who performs around NYC to raise money for her school
Curious about the Mozart that you hear at the midpoint of this program? That’s pianist Orli Shaham, playing the third movement from Mozart Sonata No. 3, from Orli’s brand-new album, Mozart Sonatas, Volume one – released this week.
Performers & Repertoire
- Etudes-tableaux, Op. 33, No.2 and Etudes-tableaux, Op. 39, No.1 by Sergei Rachmaninoff. (1873 - 1943)
- Cello Sonata, Op. 28 by Eugene-August Ysaÿe (1858 - 1931)
- Bridget Hemesath, 17, marimba, from Chicago, IL
Gabriel Hsieh, 16, marimba, from Chicago, IL
Rhapsody in Blue by George Gershwin (1898 - 1937) arranged by Pius Cheung (b. 1982)
- Sonata in F minor, Op. 120 mvmt 1 with cuts by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897)
- Scherzo & Tarantella by Henryk Wieniawski (1835 - 1880)
- Monday, October 26, 2020
- Monday, April 26, 2021
Release date is when this show is released to NPR stations, here on our website, and to our podcast. Shows are released on a weekly basis; please check your local NPR station listing for the actual airtime in your market. If you'd like, you can visit NPR's "Find Stations" page to look for your station.
Support Provided By
Jack Kent Cooke Foundation