Brahms, Wieniawski, and a Young Pianist / Show 426
Neal Eisfeldt performs Polonaise de concert in D major, Op. 4 by Henryk Wieniawski
We hear the first work Brahms wrote for a solo instrument and a stunning Wieniawski Polonaise played by a 13-year-old violinist. We also meet a teenage baritone who has been drawn to community activism since childhood, a guitarist who plays an arrangement of Dizzy Gillespie’s Night in Tunisia, and a young pianist who shares a special tip she got from piano superstar Lang Lang…play like a grandma!
- Host: Peter Dugan
Peter Dugan's position is sponsored by Susan and Gerald Slavet
Performers & Repertoire
- Opus 23, 'Ten Preludes' - Prelude No. 6 and No. 2 by Sergei Rachmaninoff (1873-1943)
- Ideale Melodia by Francesco Paolo Tosti (1846-1916)
- Cello Sonata No. 1 in E minor, Op. 38, Mvmt 2 by Johannes Brahms (1833-1897)
- A Night in Tunisia by Dizzy Gillespie (1917-1993) arr. Roland Dyens (1955-2016)
- Polonaise de concert in D major, Op. 4 by Henryk Wieniawski (1835-1880)
- Monday, February 13, 2023
Release date is when this show is released to NPR stations, here on our website, and to our podcast. Shows are released on a weekly basis; please check your local NPR station listing for the actual airtime in your market. If you'd like, you can visit NPR's "Find Stations" page to look for your station.