NPR’s From the Top with Host Christopher O’Riley: Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts / 243
This week, from the Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts, From the Top celebrates the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. through the eyes of today’s teenagers. You’ll hear the superb Boston Children’s Chorus sing several inspiring pieces and meet a 17-year-old bassoonist whose path parallels Coretta Scott King’s early years in music.
Performers & Repertoire
- "Alleluia" by Randall Thompson
- From the Top Alumni String Quartet | Tessa Lark, violin; Ryan Shannon, violin; Clayton Penrose-Whitmore, viola; and Michael Dahlberg, celloII. Molto adagio from String Quartet No.1 by George Walker
- "My Soul's Been Anchored In The Lord", trad. spiritual, arr. Moses Hogan and "In His Care-O", trad. spiritual, arr. William Dawson
- Aria from Sonatine for Bassoon and Piano by Alexandre Tansman
- "I'll Fly Away" by Albert E. Brumley, arr. Jim Papoulis
- Monday, January 12, 2015
- Monday, January 14, 2013
- Monday, January 9, 2012
Release date is when this show is released to NPR stations, here on our website, and to our podcast. Shows are released on a weekly basis; please check your local NPR station listing for the actual airtime in your market. If you'd like, you can visit NPR's "Find Stations" page to look for your station.
Support Provided By
The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation