Beethoven, Rachmaninoff, & Florence Price / Show 398
Teenage cellist Christy Choi joins our host, pianist Peter Dugan, for a moving performance of Rachmaninoff’s Elégie, Op. 3 No. 1
A late Beethoven piano sonata is performed by a teenage pianist. He’s joined by a string quartet made up entirely of siblings, a talented 16-year-old violinist, and a cellist who shares a moving performance of Rachmaninoff.
- Host: Peter Dugan
Peter Dugan's position is sponsored by Susan and Gerald Slavet.
Performers & Repertoire
- Sonata No. 30 in E Major Mvmts. 1 & 2, Op. 109 by Ludwig Van Beethoven (1770-1827 )
- Elégie, Op. 3 No. 1 by Sergei Rachmaninoff (1873-1943) (Transcribed For Cello and Piano by A. Vlasov)
- Polonaise Brilliante in D Major, Op. 435 by Henryk Wieniawski (1835-1880)
- El Avispero by Beto Valderrama Patiño (b.1949)
- The Stars Aligned Siblings, the Breshears family quartet: Dustin, violin, 14; Starla, cello, 13; Valery, violin, 11; and Colin, viola, 8 - from San Francisco, CaliforniaString Quartet No. 2, Mvmt 1 by Florence Price (1887-1953)
- Monday, April 19, 2021
- Monday, November 22, 2021
- Monday, July 25, 2022
- Monday, April 17, 2023
- Monday, July 24, 2023
Release date is when this show is released to NPR stations, here on our website, and to our podcast. Shows are released on a weekly basis; please check your local NPR station listing for the actual airtime in your market. If you'd like, you can visit NPR's "Find Stations" page to look for your station.
Support Provided By
This episode is sponsored by a generous gift from Arthur M. Winn and Family.
Thank you to Yamaha Artist Services for hosting our in person work in New York.