Shostakovich, an 11-year-old Guitarist, & New Music / Show 391
Charismatic violinist Charles Yang co-hosts a program that features a cheerful 11-year-old guitarist, a spirited performance of Shostakovich, and an imaginative young musician’s new music for quartet.
This Episode Features
- A sunny 11-year-old guitarist from California
- A 15-year-old cellist who’s also an up-and-coming composer
- A talented 17-year-old pianist with music influenced by jazz
- A violinist from Virginia with a sound that blows away our hosts
- A teenage violist with a performance full of energy and conviction
- A jazz finale, written by one of our young musicians
- Host: Peter Dugan
Peter Dugan’s position is sponsored by Susan and Gerald Slavet.
- Co-Host: Charles Yang
Performers & Repertoire
- Sunburst by Andrew York (b. 1958)
- Capriccio for violoncello and piano by Lukas Foss (1922 - 2009), with pianist Li-Tan Hsu
- Concert Etude Op. 40 No. 6 Pastoral by Nikolai Kapustin (1937 – 2020)
- 5 Pieces for Two Violins and Piano (excerpts) by Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975) with guest host, violinist Charles Yang
- Suite for Viola and Piano (1919), Mvmt 4 by Ernest Bloch (1880 - 1959)
- Monday, November 9, 2020
- Monday, May 24, 2021
Release date is when this show is released to NPR stations, here on our website, and to our podcast. Shows are released on a weekly basis; please check your local NPR station listing for the actual airtime in your market. If you'd like, you can visit NPR's "Find Stations" page to look for your station.
Support Provided By
Jack Kent Cooke Foundation