NPR’s From the Top: Highlight Show 33
Featuring some of the most exciting performances out of From the Top’s archives, host Peter Dugan brings us From the Top’s 2021 Highlights Program. We hear a powerful performance of the opening movement of Chopin’s Sonata No. 2 Opus 35 by a young pianist from L.A. We then meet a teenage guitarist who fled Iran for religious reasons and credits music for getting him through the toughest times at a refugee camp. We also enjoy a 16-year-old violinist’s showy and charismatic performance of the Carmen Fantasy by Franz Waxman.
- Host: Peter Dugan
Performers & Repertoire
- Carmen Fantasy by Franz Waxman (1906 - 1967)
- Recuerdos de la Alhambra by Francisco Tárrega (1852 – 1909) and Danza in E Minor by Jorge Morel (1931-2021)
- Piano Sonata No. 2, Opus 35, Mvt 1 by Frédéric Chopin (1810 – 1849)
- La Source, Op.23 by Albert Zabel (1834-1910)
- Duo Appassionato, piano duo, from the Music Institute of Chicago, Chicago Illinois with
Pianists Lauren Kim, 16 and Colin Song, 15
Variations on a Theme of Paganini for two pianos by Witold Lutoslawski (1913-1994)
- “Toglietemi la vita ancor” by Alessandro Scarlatti (1660 - 1725)
- Monday, September 20, 2021
Release date is when this show is released to NPR stations, here on our website, and to our podcast. Shows are released on a weekly basis; please check your local NPR station listing for the actual airtime in your market. If you'd like, you can visit NPR's "Find Stations" page to look for your station.