NPR’s From the Top with Host Christopher O’Riley Sidney, Maine / 291
From the Snow Pond Center for the Arts in Sidney, Maine, this week’s From the Top features one of the strongest teenage oboists From the Top has encountered in the past few years performing a gorgeous Élégie by Francis Poulenc; a 14-year-old violinist performs Vieuxtemp’s virtuosic showpiece, the Yankee Doodle Variations; and we meet a harpist who shares some wonderful stories about growing up studying music on rugged and rural Mount Desert Island, Maine.
Performers & Repertoire
- "La campanella" by Niccolò Paganini, arranged by William Primrose, with pianist Christopher O'Riley
- The first movement, Elégie, from Sonata for Oboe and Piano by Francis Poulenc, with pianist Christopher O'Riley
- Souvenirs d'Amérique, Variations on "Yankee Doodle" Op. 17, by Henri Vieuxtemps, with pianist Christopher O'Riley
- The first movement, Mässig schnell, from Sonata for Harp by Paul Hindemith
- Étude-Tableau No. 1 in C minor, Op. 39, by Sergei Rachmaninoff
- The third movement, Allegro vivace, from Sonata for Violin and Piano No. 8 in G major, Op. 30, No. 3, by Ludwig van Beethoven, with pianist Christopher O’Riley
- Monday, March 2, 2015
- Monday, September 8, 2014
- Monday, August 10, 2015
Release date is when this show is released to NPR stations, here on our website, and to our podcast. Shows are released on a weekly basis; please check your local NPR station listing for the actual airtime in your market. If you'd like, you can visit NPR's "Find Stations" page to look for your station.
Support Provided By
The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation