Chopin, Barber & Bach on Mandolin / Show 429
15-year old pianist Nathaniel Zhang performs the second movement of Chopin’s Nocturnes Op. 27, No. 2.
We meet young musicians from all over the country, from South Carolina to California. A 17-year-old cellist fulfills a childhood dream to be on From the Top and kicks off the program with a gorgeous Beethoven piece. We also hear a beautiful Chopin Nocturne, a Barber Sonata played by a teen flutist, and a young mandolin player shows off her gorgeous new instrument (funded by her Jack Kent Cooke Young Artist Award) with a performance of Bach.
- Host : Peter Dugan
Peter Dugan's position is sponsored by Susan and Gerald Slavet.
Performers & Repertoire
- Sonata No. 5 in D major, Op. 102 No. 2 for Cello and Piano I. Allegro con brio by Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)
- Fantasy in C Major ("Wanderer-Fantasie"), D.760, Op.15, I. Allegro con fuoco ma non troppo by Franz Schubert (1797-1828)
- Wellenspiel (Waves at Play) - Characteristic Piece for Violin and Piano by Edwin Grasse (1884-1954)
- Partita No. 3 in E Major, BWV 1006 for Solo Violin I. Preludio by Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750)
- Canzone for Flute and Piano by Samuel Barber (1910-1981)
- Nocturne in D-flat Major, Op. 27 No. 2 by Frédéric Chopin (1810-1849)
- Monday, April 10, 2023
Release date is when this show is released to NPR stations, here on our website, and to our podcast. Shows are released on a weekly basis; please check your local NPR station listing for the actual airtime in your market. If you'd like, you can visit NPR's "Find Stations" page to look for your station.