Apply: The Jack Kent Cooke Young Artist Award
In addition to performing on NPR’s From the Top, recipients of the Jack Kent Cooke Young Artist Award receive up to $10,000 to help offset the costs of studying classical music at a high level. Each year, we choose approximately 20 exceptional pre-collegiate musicians ages 8-18 to receive the Award.
Please read through the information below to learn more about the Jack Kent Cooke Young Artist Award and how to apply.
Upcoming deadlines to apply for the 2020-2021 season:
HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS DEADLINE: December 4, 2020* DEADLINE 2: January 4, 2021
- DEADLINE 3:
March 15, 2021EXTENDED TO MARCH 31, 2021
*High school seniors must apply by December 4, 2020.
An application for the Jack Kent Cooke Young Artist Award is also an application to perform on From the Top’s radio program. You do not need to complete two separate applications. The scholarship can only be awarded in conjunction with a show performance. It cannot be awarded independently. Therefore, to apply for both opportunities, please complete only the application for the Jack Kent Cooke Young Artist Award.
If you’re thinking about applying or have any questions about your status or eligibility, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Who should apply?
Classical instrumentalists, vocalists, and composers (ages 8–18) who have not yet entered college
Applicants must demonstrate:
- Exceptional musical achievement
Applicants must have strong musical ability and a willingness to perform on our NPR show.
- Unmet financial need
The Jack Kent Cooke Young Artist Award is a need-based scholarship. Applicants must provide evidence of a family income insufficient to meet the costs of his/her musical pursuits (new instruments, music lessons, summer festival tuition, and travel, etc.). 90% of our past recipients come from families with an annual household Adjusted Gross Income of under $60,000. While we definitely take extenuating circumstances into consideration, such as cost of living, medical expenses, dependents, etc., we do not encourage applicants with an annual household Adjusted Gross Income of over $100,000 to apply. COVID UPDATE: If your most recent tax return reflects something different from what your current employment situation projects, please include a detailed statement within the “Special Financial Circumstances” section at the end of the scholarship application.
- Academic achievement
Applicants must possess strong scholastic achievement indicated by good grades, academic awards, and strong test scores.
- Strength of character
Applicants must demonstrate drive, initiative, maturity, leadership, and a commitment to giving back to one’s community.
- Up to $10,000 to apply toward instrument purchases, summer camp tuition, college audition travel expenses, private lessons, or other music-related needs
- Appearance on NPR’s From the Top
- Participation in From the Top’s Arts Leadership and Community Engagement training.
How to apply
- After reading this page and our Scholarship FAQs, visit the link at the bottom of the page to proceed to the online application.
- Applicants will be asked to upload at least two unedited, un-enhanced video or audio samples of their music.
- We require two recommendations – one from an academic teacher and one from a music teacher. You will be asked to provide contact information for them, and they will receive recommendation forms via the online application.
- After completing your online application, you must mail us a copy of your most recent tax forms, academic transcript, and standardized test scores (if applicable). Directions will be provided at the end of the online application.
- An application for the Jack Kent Cooke Young Artist Award is also an application to perform on From the Top’s radio program. You do not need to complete two separate applications. The scholarship can only be awarded in conjunction with a show performance. It cannot be awarded independently. Therefore, to apply for both opportunities, please complete only the application for the Jack Kent Cooke Young Artist Award, which you can access by clicking “APPLY NOW” at the bottom of this page.
- It is free to apply for the Jack Kent Cooke Young Artist Award. There is no application fee.
- More detailed application instructions can be found below. If you have any questions, you can e-mail email@example.com or call (617) 437-0707.