Shostakovich Prelude, Schumann Fantasy Pieces, & Kreisler’s Liebesfreud / Show 399
16-year-old cellist Angeline Kiang joins our host, Peter Dugan, for a rousing performance of the third movement of Robert Schumann’s Fantasy Pieces.
A 15-year-old pianist performs the music of Shostakovich. She’s joined by a teenage cellist performing Schumann, and a cellist who shares her experience rehearsing with an artificially intelligent piano.
- Host: Peter Dugan
Peter Dugan's position is sponsored by Susan and Gerald Slavet.
Performers & Repertoire
- Three Fantasy Pieces, Op. 73: III. Rasch und mit Feuer by Robert Schumann (1810-1856)
- Prelude and Fugue in D-flat Major, Op. 87, No.15 by Dmitri Shostakovich (1906-1975)
- Liebesfreud by Fritz Kreisler (1875-1962)
- Adagio from Adagio and Allegro, Op. 70 by Robert Schumann (1810-1856)
- Nathaniel Yue , 14, cello, from San Marino, California; Gallia Kastner, 24, violin, alumna, from Los Angeles, California and Peter Dugan, pianoDies Irie (piano trio) by Kenji Bunch (b. 1973)
- The Colburn School Honors Quartet from Los Angeles, California (originally recorded in 2007)String Quartet in F, IV. Vif et agite by Maurice Ravel
Rieho Yu, 17, violin
Rachel Sandman, 16, violin
Jocelin Pan, 16, viola
Andrew Hayhurst, 18, cello
- Monday, May 17, 2021
- Monday, December 20, 2021
- Monday, August 1, 2022
- Monday, May 1, 2023
Release date is when this show is released to NPR stations, here on our website, and to our podcast. Shows are released on a weekly basis; please check your local NPR station listing for the actual airtime in your market. If you'd like, you can visit NPR's "Find Stations" page to look for your station.