NPR’s From the Top with Host Christopher O’Riley: Boston, Massachusetts / Show 313
With special guest George Li, Silver Medalist, XV International Tchaikovsky Competition
From our home in Boston, this week’s program features a From the Top alum who’s gone on to be the first American pianist since 1966 to win the Silver Medal at the famous International Tchaikovsky Competition. Also we meet a pianist who’s just nine years old who not only performs the music of Rachmaninoff with authority–she also happens to have been an international chess champion.
Performers & Repertoire
- Etudes-Tableaux, Op. 33, No. 8 in G minor and No. 6 in E-flat minor, by Sergei Rachmaninoff
- Isolde Quartet with Kate Arndt, violin, Tristan Flores, violin, Gerald Karni, viola, and Zlatomir Fung, celloString Quartet No. 2 in C major, Op. 36 by Benjamin Britten
- Figaro Variations from Rossini’s ‘The Barber of Seville’ by Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco, edited by Jascha Heifetz
- Legende by Georges Enescu
- III. Allegro con fuoco of Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1, allegro con moto
- Encore: Variations on a Theme from Bizet's Opera "Carmen," by Vladimir Horowitz
- Monday, November 30, 2015
- Monday, June 6, 2016
- Monday, February 20, 2017
Release date is when this show is released to NPR stations, here on our website, and to our podcast. Shows are released on a weekly basis; please check your local NPR station listing for the actual airtime in your market. If you'd like, you can visit NPR's "Find Stations" page to look for your station.
Support Provided By
The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation