NPR’s From the Top: Storrs, CT/ Show 363
This week’s guest host is Molly Yeh a young chef with her own show on the Food Channel called “Girl Meets Farm.” But before she developed an interest in food, she was an extraordinary classical percussionist who appeared on From the Top over a decade ago when she was just 15-years-old. This week, she returns to introduce us to an impressive lineup of young musicians including a talented teenage bassoonist from rural Oklahoma and a 17-year-old pianist who delivers a fiery performance of Stravinsky’s Firebird Suite.
- Guest Host: Molly Yeh
Molly Yeh appeared as a percussionist on From the Top at age 18 in 2007. Since then, she plays with food more than mallets, and has established herself as one of the top food bloggers and authors in America.
- Guest Pianist: Peter Dugan
Pianist Peter Dugan is equally at home in classical, jazz, and pop idioms, and has performed with artists ranging from Itzhak Perlman and Joshua Bell to Jesse Colin Young and Glenn Close.
Performers & Repertoire
- Polonaise No. 1 in D Major, Op. 4 for Violin and Piano by Henryk Wieniawski (1835-1880), with Peter Dugan, piano.
- I. Prelude from Cello Suite No. 4 in E-flat major, BWV 1010, by Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750).
- Performing IV. Aria from Suite from an Imaginary Opera, for Bassoon and Piano by John Steinmetz (b.1951), with Peter Dugan, piano.
- II. Allegro appassionato from the Sonata for Viola and Piano in E-flat major, Op. 120, No. 2 by Johannes Brahms (1833-1897), with Peter Dugan, piano.
- II. Dance Infernale and VII. Finale from The Firebird Suite by Igor Stravinsky (1882-1971) arr. by G. Agosti (1901-1989).
- Monday, January 28, 2019
- Monday, August 5, 2019
- Monday, March 9, 2020
- Monday, October 19, 2020
Release date is when this show is released to NPR stations, here on our website, and to our podcast. Shows are released on a weekly basis; please check your local NPR station listing for the actual airtime in your market. If you'd like, you can visit NPR's "Find Stations" page to look for your station.
Support Provided By
The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation