NPR’s From the Top: Boston, MA / Show 360
This week on From the Top, legendary jazz pianist Fred Hersch collaborates with young performers with guest host Yuga Cohler. We hear a teenage pianist join Hersch in a piano duo performance of Samuel Barber, an award-winning string quartet wows the audience with Mendelssohn, and a young cellist performs one of Hersch’s original compositions, “Bittersweet Tango”.
Performers & Repertoire
- II. Appassionato from Four Pieces for Violin and Piano, Op.17 by Josef Suk (1874-1935), with Jingxuan Zhang, piano.
- I. Allegro moderato from Piano Sonata, Sz.80 by Béla Bartók (1881-1945).
- “Hesitation Tango” for two pianos by Samuel Barber with Fred Hersch
- I. Allegro vivace assai from String Quartet No. 6 in F minor, Op. 80 by Felix Mendelssohn (1809-1847).
- "Tango Bittersweet" by Fred Hersch, with Fred Hersch, piano.
- Monday, November 26, 2018
Release date is when this show is released to NPR stations, here on our website, and to our podcast. Shows are released on a weekly basis; please check your local NPR station listing for the actual airtime in your market. If you'd like, you can visit NPR's "Find Stations" page to look for your station.