Los Angeles, CA / 111
This week, From the Top is at the Thornton School of Music at University of Southern California in sunny Los Angeles featuring outstanding musicians from ages 10 to 17. You’ll hear a teenage violinist from La Crescenta playing the opening movement of the Tchaikovsky Concerto and a very young pianist from La Jolla playing part of the Haydn Sonata in D. Also, a rambunctious cellist plays some equally rambunctious Shostakovich and an outstanding teenage trumpeter plays the music of Hummel.
Performers & Repertoire
- Concerto in D Major, op 35 by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
- Etude in F Minor by Frédéric Chopin
- Trumpet Concerto in E-flat major, III. Rondo by Johann Hummel
- Cello Concerto No.1 in E-flat major, Op.107, I. Allegretto by Dmitri Shostakovich
- “Frobisher Bay” by James Gordon and “Au Bord de L’eau” by Gabriel Fauré
- Monday, October 24, 2005
- Monday, July 11, 2005
- Monday, January 24, 2005
Release date is when this show is released to NPR stations, here on our website, and to our podcast. Shows are released on a weekly basis; please check your local NPR station listing for the actual airtime in your market. If you'd like, you can visit NPR's "Find Stations" page to look for your station.