A Celebration of Sphinx / Show 418
We are pleased to present a special episode dedicated to the 25th Anniversary of the Sphinx Organization, the Detroit-based, nationally focused social justice organization dedicated to transforming lives through the power of diversity in the arts.
The episode features musical excerpts from a live performance by critically-acclaimed chamber orchestra, the Sphinx Virtuosi, and stories told by the musicians, leaders, and educators whose lives have been changed by Sphinx. It also explores the pivotal role Sphinx has played in expanding diversity in the arts.
From the Top has proudly featured Sphinx Laureates on the program since 2000.
- Host: Peter Dugan
Peter Dugan's position is sponsored by Susan and Gerald Slavet
Performers & Repertoire
- Afa Dworkin, President and Artistic Director, Sphinx Organization
- Four Noveletten, Mvt 1 Allegro Moderato by Samuel Coleridge-Taylor
- Bill Neri, Manager of Ensemble Advancement and Artist Engagement, Sphinx Organization, and From the Top Alumnus
- String Quartet No. 2 in A Minor, II Andante Cantabile by Florence Price
- Sphinx Overture Program
- Banner by Jessie Montgomery
- Thomas Mesa, Cellist/ Sphinx Soloist
- Mourinho by Ricardo Herz
- Monday, October 3, 2022
- Monday, February 5, 2024
Release date is when this show is released to NPR stations, here on our website, and to our podcast. Shows are released on a weekly basis; please check your local NPR station listing for the actual airtime in your market. If you'd like, you can visit NPR's "Find Stations" page to look for your station.