NPR’s From the Top with Host Christopher O’Riley Purchase, New York / 293
From the Top show 293 was recorded from The Performing Arts Center at Purchase College where the National Youth Orchestra of the USA was in residence for two weeks, preparing for its national tour. You’ll hear 120 of America’s best and brightest young musicians that have been brought together by the Weill Music Institute at Carnegie Hall performing works by Bernstein and Gershwin as well as a premiering a new piece by Samuel Adams, all under the baton of conductor David Robertson.
Performers & Repertoire
- Prologue and Mambo from Symphonic Dances from West Side Story by Leonard Bernstein
- The first movement, Allegretto, from Sonata for Clarinet and Piano in E-flat major, Op. 167, by Camille Saint-Saens, with pianist Christopher O'Riley
- Radial Play by Samuel Adams
- National Youth Orchestra Piano Quartet
Soyeong Park, Martine Thomas, Kartik Papatla, Christopher O'RileyThe fourth movement, Allegro molto, from Piano Quartet No. 1 in C minor, Op. 15, by Gabriel Faure
- Porgy and Bess: A Symphonic Picture by George Gershwin, arranged by Robert Russell Bennett
- Monday, January 19, 2015
- Monday, July 21, 2014
- Monday, August 17, 2015
Release date is when this show is released to NPR stations, here on our website, and to our podcast. Shows are released on a weekly basis; please check your local NPR station listing for the actual airtime in your market. If you'd like, you can visit NPR's "Find Stations" page to look for your station.
Support Provided By
The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation