NPR’s From the Top: Los Angeles, CA / Show 366
Recorded in the famed Hollywood Scoring Studio in Los Angeles, we meet a brilliant young pianist who grew up in Hollywood enjoying film music so much that she founded her own multi-disciplinary arts collaborative at her high school. Also on the program is a heroic performance of a piece by Planel for horn and a teenage violinist rocks Ravel’s virtuosic “Tzigane” with guest host Peter Dugan.
- Guest Host: Peter Dugan
Prizing versatility as the key to the future of classical music, pianist Peter Dugan is equally at home in classical, jazz, and pop idioms.
Performers & Repertoire
- “Tzigane” for violin and piano by Maurice Ravel (1875-1937), with Peter Dugan, piano.
- Très largement from “Légende” by Robert Planel (1908-1994), with Peter Dugan, piano.
- II. Scherzo from the Sonata for Cello and Piano in G minor, Op. 65 by Frédéric Chopin (1810-1849), with Peter Dugan, piano.
- III. Alla Cubana and I. Allegro from “Five Bagatelles” by William Walton (1902-1983).
- "Levante"by Osvaldo Golijov (b. 1960).
- Étude No. 7 by Heitor Villa-Lobos (1887-1959).
- Monday, April 8, 2019
- Monday, October 21, 2019
Release date is when this show is released to NPR stations, here on our website, and to our podcast. Shows are released on a weekly basis; please check your local NPR station listing for the actual airtime in your market. If you'd like, you can visit NPR's "Find Stations" page to look for your station.
Support Provided By