Be on the NPR Radio Show
What’s it like to be on From the Top?
- It’s a unique and fun opportunity to share music in a positive, non-competitive environment.
- It’s the chance to reach hundreds of thousands of listeners through a national radio broadcast.
- It’s an opportunity to join an organization dedicated to celebrating and empowering young classically-trained musicians and to discover your own unique leadership path.
Am I eligible?
You are eligible if you:
- Are between the ages of 8–18 and have not enrolled in a college or conservatory.
- Live in or have a significant training connection to the US.
- Solo instrumentalists
- Small ensembles (8 members or fewer)
- Large ensembles (9 members or more)
From the Top’s primary focus is to present music from the western classical tradition. However, we occasionally present music from other non-pop genres including folk music, world music, spirituals, and acoustic or piano jazz.
For more information, please read our FAQs. For more instructions on applying, click on the links below.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, although applicants interested in a specific recording may indicate so on their application. Live auditions are also held periodically across the country, but are not required to apply.
High School Seniors
Please note that our season is typically fully booked each year by March or April. High school seniors should therefore apply no later than December 31st of their senior year to ensure that their application is reviewed while they are still eligible to be featured on the show.
If you have already applied for our radio program, STOP RIGHT THERE! Please e-mail email@example.com and we will give you access to our Application Update form.