Be on the NPR Radio Show
Live Auditions in Boston
Saturday, November 16
12:00 PM – 3:00 PM
New England Conservatory
*exclusively for NEC Prep students
Sunday, November 17
11:00 AM – 5:00 PM
New England Conservatory
Saturday, November 23
12:00 PM – 6:00 PM
Cambridge Music Consortium
To sign up for an audition time, please contact Abbi Rienzo at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, instrument, and preferred date and timeframe.
*NOTE* As of August 10, 2019, From the Top’s online application has transitioned to a new online platform called SurveyMonkey Apply. The content of the application, as well as the review process, has not changed. Any unreviewed applications submitted via our old platform, FluidReview, are currently being reviewed. Any new applications will be completed using SurveyMonkey Apply.
If you have any questions about the new system, please email us at email@example.com.
What’s it like to be on From the Top?
- It’s a unique and fun opportunity to share music in a positive, non-competitive environment.
- It’s the chance to reach hundreds of thousands of listeners through a national radio broadcast.
- It’s an opportunity to join an organization dedicated to celebrating and empowering young classically-trained musicians and to discover your own unique leadership path.
Am I eligible?
You are eligible if you:
- Are between the ages of 8–18 and have not enrolled in a college or conservatory.
- Live in or have a significant training connection to the US.
- Solo instrumentalists
- Small ensembles (8 members or fewer)
- Large ensembles (9 members or more)
From the Top’s primary focus is to present music from the western classical tradition. However, we occasionally present music from other non-pop genres including folk music, world music, spirituals, and acoustic or piano jazz.
For more information, please read our FAQs. For more instructions on applying, click on the links below.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, although applicants interested in a specific recording may indicate so on their application. Live auditions are also held periodically across the country, but are not required to apply.
High School Seniors
Please note that our season is typically fully booked each year by March or April. High school seniors should therefore apply no later than December 31st of their senior year to ensure that their application is reviewed while they are still eligible to be featured on the show.
If you have already applied for our radio program, STOP RIGHT THERE! Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and we will give you access to our Application Update form.