- NPR Radio Program
- PBS Television Program
- Be on the Show
- Arts Leadership
Explore the Application Process
For a more comprehensive list of FAQs, please click the "Scholarship FAQs" link at the bottom of this page.
Who should apply?
- Classical instrumentalists, vocalists, and composers (ages 8-18) who have not yet entered college during the academic year 2013–2014.
- Applicants must be interested in performing on From the Top, and demonstrate (in order of importance): exceptional musical achievement, unmet financial need, solid academic achievement, and strength of character. For more on selection criteria see below.
From the Top individually reviews each application using the criteria below to make scholarship decisions. While all these criteria are important, musical achievement and financial need are given the most attention during the application review process.
Exceptional musical achievement: Applicants must have strong musical ability and a willingness to perform on our NPR show. All recipients of the Jack Kent Cooke Young Artist Award must also perform on From the Top and play at the same musical level as other young performers on the show.
Unmet financial need: Applicants must substantiate a limited family income and insufficient funds to cover the cost of new instruments, music lessons, and/or summer music program tuition and travel expenses. While there is no formal cut-off, since program inception, 90% of our past recipients come from families with an annual household Adjusted Gross Income of less than $60,000. We take into consideration: high cost of living in some areas, extraordinary medical expenses, and number of dependents in college. You will have the opportunity to submit information about these special circumstances in the financial section of the application.
Academic achievement: Applicants should possess strong scholastic records indicated by good grades (typically a GPA above 3.0 or mostly A’s and B’s), academic awards, and strong test scores (if available).
Strength of character: Applicants should also possess a combination of drive/determination, initiative, maturity, leadership, an ability to overcome obstacles, and a commitment to giving back to one’s community.
Jack Kent Cooke Young Artist Award Scholarship Benefits
- National exposure through a featured radio performance on From the Top’s NPR broadcast.
- Up to $10,000 in financial support, which can be applied to instrument purchase, summer music camp expenses, private lessons, and other musical expenses.
- Participation in From the Top's Arts Leadership Orientation.
- Creation and implementation of an Arts Leadership activity. Young Artist Award recipients will be responsible for creating and implementing their activities, but will receive support along the way to ensure successful completion and documentation. Learn more about From the Top's Arts Leadership Program.
Students may apply for the scholarship at any time, but applications will be reviewed in three cycles throughout the year according to the below deadlines. All recipients are notified on a rolling admissions basis in accordance with our 2013–2014 taping season.
- 2013–2014 Deadline I: October 1, 2013* Deadline extended to October 15!
- 2013–2014 Deadline II: December 1, 2013
- 2013–2014 Deadline III: February 1, 2014
Note that it is free to apply for the scholarship (there is no application fee).
*Please note that high school seniors must apply by the October 1 deadline to be eligible.
How to Apply
- After reading this page and our Scholarship Frequently Asked Questions, please visit the link below to download the appropriate Jack Kent Cooke Young Artist Award Application PDF (depending on whether you are a soloist, composer, or member of a small ensemble).
- If you have already started a Scholarship Application on our online application system, please note that we are experiencing technical difficulties wth the online application. You may finish and submit an application that is in-progress online. Please save your work often. We recommend writing your answers to questions in a word processing document so that you have a back-up of your work. If you cannot find the link to access your application or have additional questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applicants will be asked to submit at least two unedited, unenhanced video or audio samples of their music. You will also need to submit copies of tax forms, grade transcripts, and other documents.
- Please note that if you decide you’re eligible and you want to apply for the scholarship, you must only fill out the Jack Kent Cooke Young Artist Award application and no other From the Top application. All applicants to the Jack Kent Cooke Young Artist Award are automatically considered for an appearance on the radio program as well as for the scholarship through their Jack Kent Cooke Young Artist Award application. Even if you are not selected for the Young Artist Award, you may be selected to appear on the show as a performer.